Outreach Worker - Life is Precious
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department/Program:||Life is Precious|
|Description:||Do you want to help prevent suicide in at-risk Latina teens? |
If so, we welcome you to join the staff of our unique suicide-prevention program at our growing agency!
AGENCY DESCRIPTION: Comunilife Inc., a multi-service, non-profit organization founded in 1989, offers a continuum of residential programs for adults with HIV/AIDS and/or serious mental illness, a licensed mental health clinic and other programs in NYC. Our mission is to improve the quality of life and create a healthier tomorrow for New Yorkers with special needs in the Hispanic and broader communities.
Job Openings: Outreach Worker, Life is Precious (LIP) Program
Job Locations: Brooklyn, Bronx & Queens
Program Description: LIP is a unique after-school, suicide-prevention program for Latina adolescent girls from age 13 to 18 who are at risk for making suicide attempts. LIP exposes the girls to the broader world outside their low-income communities. LIP provides the girls with tools to bridge the gap between the American culture of their schools and the traditional cultural values of their parents, who are often Spanish-monolingual immigrants. All LIP girls receive professional mental health treatment in a mental health clinic.
With the supervision and support of the Program Coordinator, the Outreach Worker’s duties include:
• Conducting outreach activities for our after-school, suicide-prevention program operating in 4 NYC boroughs and serving Hispanic adolescent girls with mental health diagnoses, all of whom receive mental health treatment in clinics;
• Maintaining and supporting existing relationships with LIP referral sources such as schools, mental health clinics, hospitals, churches and community agencies;
• Seeking out and developing new partnerships with schools, clinics, hospitals and community agencies that may be unfamiliar with LIP in order to educate them about the Latina suicide epidemic and generate referrals of at-risk Latina teens;
• Meeting with adolescent girls, their parents, and school, hospital and community agency staff to educate them on suicide-prevention, inform them of the LIP program, and encourage referrals of at-risk Latinas teens;
• Representing the agency and LIP at community events such as health fairs;
• Giving talks and leading presentations and workshops on suicide prevention and LIP.
Our goal is to develop additional referral sources, generate more referrals and enroll more at-risk Latina teens in LIP. To that end, we are seeking four (4) mature, dependable, self-confident, articulate and intelligent individuals with a demonstrated ability to conduct outreach activities. A self-starter who excels at working independently, we seek outreach workers who will serve as our ambassadors to the community and consistently represent the agency and LIP program in a positive and professional manner. The candidates should be energetic, organized and flexible, enjoy working in the field and should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Services, Psychology or a related area;
• At least two (2) years of full-time work experience, which includes outreach activities such as leading presentations, public speaking, meeting with individuals and/or groups, ideally in an organization serving adolescents and families and/or individuals with mental illness;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel and experience leading PowerPoint presentations;
• Willingness and ability to learn about the epidemic of suicide among young Latinas, suicide prevention and the proven efficacy of the LIP program in addressing this problem;
• Bilingual/Bicultural in English/Spanish is strongly preferred
Comunilife offers ongoing staff training and opportunities for professional growth and advancement within the agency. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including comprehensive, moderately-priced health insurance and a pension plan.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.