Director, Latina Teen Suicide Prevention Program
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Department/Program:||Life is Precious|
|Description:||Are you a strong leader with a passion to work with Latina adolescents? |
If so, we welcome you to join us and lead a unique suicide-prevention program at our growing agency.
Job Opening: DIRECTOR, LIFE IS PRECIOUS™ (LIP) PROGRAM
The Life Is Precious Program (LIP) is a suicide prevention program for Latina Teens. LIP provides a caring and motivating environment, which aims to nurture the success of each participant. Character building and strengthening participants self-esteem is an integral part of the teaching and learning process. Life Is Precious also offers creative arts therapies, tutoring, case management, advocacy and referrals.
In addition, the program integrates a strong music component, which aims to provide access to exceptional instrumental and choral music education to the participants and embraces the values and principles of Venezuela’s El Sistema, where music education is used as a tool for personal and social transformation. Students’ musical experiences are centered in cultivating a caring, cooperative and fun learning community.
Under the direction of the Chief Program Officer, the Program Director’s duties include:
• The overall management, direction, budgeting and daily operations of a unique, expanding and highly visible after-school, suicide-prevention program operating in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens. LIP provides counseling, academic/vocational supports and promotes positive friendships and family relations by offering activities such as computer labs, art/music/dance groups, wellness activities, tutoring, trips and family activities;
• Facilitate the music component of the program by supporting the participant’s musical and social behavior that align with ideals of the LIP program Commitment to the social and musical mission of the program and support of the El Sistema philosophy and methodology. Collaborate closely with the Music Coordinator;
• Develop and maintain parental and family involvement by using the Parental Engagement curriculum;
• Responsible for developing and ensuring the effective implementation and excellent quality of program activities that engage Latina adolescent girls and their families
• Supervision and support of the staff, including case managers, tutors, creative arts therapists and all of whom lead program activities;
• Responsible for ensuring all required documentation and reports are completed;
• Responsible for representing the agency and LIP for outreach and other purposes at community organizations including churches, schools, and hospitals; collaborating with community agencies and public officials on behalf of the program and its clients; and relating to various media representatives who are disseminating information about the program to the public;
• Responsible for tracking data and outcomes for the research & evaluation component of the program;
• Travel to various schools, program sites located in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx and conduct home visits as needed.
We are looking for a creative, energetic, and organized individual with excellent managerial, administrative, critical thinking and written, verbal and active listening communication skills - a proven leader who can develop programs that engage, motivate and support the adolescents and their families. Ideally, the candidate would have experience running youth programs operating at multiple sites.
• Master’s Degree in the Human Services Field;
• At least three (3) years of supervisory/administrative experience, ideally in a program serving low-income, Latino adolescents and families including individuals with mental health diagnoses;
• Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and Saturdays;
• Bilingual and Bi-Cultural in English/Spanish is a plus.
Comunilife offers ongoing staff training and opportunities for professional growth and advancement within the agency. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including comprehensive, moderately-priced health insurance and an excellent pension plan. We are an EQO/AA.
Please apply online to www:firstname.lastname@example.org
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.