Superintendent (Live In)
|Location:||New York, NY|
|Benefits:||Comprehensive benefits, including 90% employer-paid health insurance|
|Employment Type:||Year-Round - Full Time|
|Department/Program:||West Farms Residence|
|Description:||Under the supervision of the Program Director and under direction of the Building Manager and/or|
Deputy Director of Physical Facilities, the Superintendent is responsible for the overall maintenance
of the facility. This role must be available for emergencies. The superintendent provides
maintenance and total care of apartment building in compliance with applicable Federal, State, and
City building code, and regulations.
Responsible for building maintenance, tenant relations, overall apartment readiness, inspections.
Supervise maintenance worker team. To maintain that the assigned building is clean and in a safe
environment, including upkeep of building systems, ensure timely repairs of equipment and building
|Duties:||● Recruit, train and supervise maintenance staff.|
● Prepare and carry out a preventative maintenance plan which includes all fire safety, OSHA
and other systems requirements.
● Manage work orders and other responsive maintenance.
● Track property maintenance, work orders, inventory, and purchases in computerized
● Respond to urgent facility needs and emergency calls outside regular work hours.
● Assist in preparation of capital budget.
● Ensure all Regulatory inspections are performed on time and filed.
● Maintain activity log for repairs and needs in the building.
● Ensure that the boiler is well maintained, drained weekly and adequate heating levels and
other supplies needed to maintain building are in compliance with Federal, City and State
● Make repairs to building or its equipment or schedules repair of necessary tasks.
● Ensure the general cleanliness of the building and disposal of house garbage is organized.
● Maintain weekly maintenance cleaning and housekeeping schedules.
● Organize and prepare the apartments for occupancy. Paint and repair apartments when
vacated, as necessary.
● Attend mandated in–service training programs and meetings.
● Order requisitions as necessary for maintenance, repairs, cleaning supplies and maintain inventory of supplies.
● Report all building or apartment maintenance issues upon occurrences and develop and
● Arrange and maintain log of all inspections of physical plant systems, fire extinguishers,
elevators, etc. on a routine basis in accordance with regulatory guidelines. Maintain log of all
mandated building maintenance, fire safety certifications.
● Perform other duties that may be assigned.
|Qualifications:||Education and Experience Requirements:|
● High School Diploma and three years related experience in building maintenance with one year of supervisory experience; or satisfactory combination of related experience and specialized education or training.
● Bilingual in English/Spanish
● Prefer Bachelors Degree or Associates Degree in Building Maintenance Technology, Business Administration, Property Management, Urban Studies, Urban Planning, Building Management or a degree from a two-year college or technical school and/or equivalent combination of education and work experience or various certifications.
● Prefer any certificates or licenses or all of the following: Certified NYC & NYS Residential; Commercial Superintendent, Standpipe & Sprinkler Certification, HVAC Universal Certification, NYS Boiler License, Hazardous Materials Certification, advance training through the NYC HPD, Fire Guard or Fire Director Certification, Certificate of Fitness, EPA Certification. (S-12: City Wide Sprinkler Systems / S-11 Residential Sprinkler Systems, S-13: City Wide Standpipe Systems, S-95: Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and other related systems, P-98: Fuel-oil Piping and Storage Systems, Coordinator of Fire Safety and Alarm
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● The ability to successfully manage a large number of unrelated tasks and projects simultaneously.
● Understanding of building maintenance issues like electrical wiring, heating systems, sprinkler systems, plumbing, roofing and tarring, floor maintenance, dry wall, painting, plastering and masonry, ordering maintenance or fuel supplies, miscellaneous apartment building repairs, and others.
● Knowledge of building inspection regulations like Fire Department code regulations; waste removal in accordance with municipal guidelines and others related to facility.
● Ability to interact appropriately with tenants.
Knowledge of commercial real estate practices
like apartment rental practices is a plus.
● Good supervisory, administrative and time management skills required.
● Ability to work effectively in a team environment and experience working with a diverse group of people, good interpersonal skills.
● Communication skills to generate reports and memos, participate in management meetings, read and respond to written regulations and documentation required.